Organizations Can Move Domain From One Office 365 Tenant To Another In The Most Efficient Way
With the advent of technology, there has been an instant boom in information merging and acquisition between various organizations. To be more particular, when one sets up software such as Office 365 for an institution, all the resources such as mailboxes, user accounts, and a lot more in that environment belongs to that organization. However, when businesses merge office 365 tenants, problems arise with the methods of data movement. It is due to various predefined constraints regarding the movement of data.
When an organization wants to transfer Office 365 mailbox to another account, the institution defines the data boundaries and moves domains using Office 365 migration services. It isn’t possible to share domains with two tenants, meaning that an Office 365 tenant to tenant migration is required to access the source tenant’s services at the target environment.
How Does Office 365 To Office 365 Migration Work?
To help a single domain migrate Office 365 to Office 365, these are the steps involved
- Initially, it is required to assign the domain to the destination tenant to receive data, but these assignments should not be verified until the procedure ends.
- Then, in the DNS (Domain Name System), TTL (Time To Live) must be assigned in MX records to 1 minute.
- Using Office 365 domain, set up user accounts on the target tenant and give it a license or permission.
- Using an exchange web services-based solution, set up a migration project with the same URL for source and destination.
- To start the first migration pass, populate the migration project with mailboxes.
- Once the pass has been completed, set MX records to an unreachable destination to hold any incoming mail in a queue.
- After assigning MX records to an unreachable destination, make sure all mail has transferred.
- Remove all the resources from the source tenant.
- Verify domain on new tenant and point MX records to a new tenant.
By performing all the steps flawlessly, one can accomplish the Office 365 tenant to tenant migration successfully.
Why Do Organizations Need Office 365 Tenant To Tenant Migration?
Different organizations use Office 365 for various purposes. Hence, there exist numerous migration services like email migration service for Gmail to Gmail migration, and Office 365 tenant to tenant migration OneDrive for cloud service migration. Besides, one may need to transfer Office 365 subscription to another tenant, migrate email to G Suite, and much more. Since the customer requirements differ, the reason for Office 365 tenant to tenant migration may be for
- Retaining email address as a secondary address since the enterprise has been acquired by another business and the acquired business may use the purchaser’s branding.
- Long-term coexistence of two organizations as a result of merging, demanding a need for migration of information to the central entity.
- Fast migration due to the divestment of a corporate division as it needs to migrate data to an independent platform.
Many situations warrant domain transfers between two tenants, such as a merger wherein two domains cannot have different Office 365 tenants at the same instant. Users may want to transfer information resources from one Office tenant to another in addition to domain transfer using the Office 365 migration tool. Mailbox transfer is also possible from the old domain to a new domain. The conclusion is that, despite the time required and complexity involved in the process of tenant migration, a hassle-free Office 365 tenant to tenant migration is possible. One only needs to follow the well-defined steps of systematic detachment and transfer of data from the source tenant to the target tenant.
Join the thousands of organizations that use DuoCircle
Find out how affordable it is for your organization today and be pleasantly surprised.